Mock Stock – ‘Beat the Dalal Street’ was held on 23/10/19 in Junior Workshop Room for XI C1 and XI C2 students. The event began with a brief introduction to share markets in India – BSE and NSE, different trading sessions in a day and the volatility of the share market in the short run.
Archana Mehta and Deepika Seth were the brokers for the day and Amogh Arora the moderator. Every team (4-5 students) had to trade only in the shares of 5 companies i.e. IRCTC, ITC, Infosys, Uber and Yes Bank. News Flash! – After ever news flash, students were given a time of 4 minutes to buy and sell shares by reporting to brokers, new prices were revealed after every news flash. Students had to use their knowledge of current affairs and react by buying/selling of shares.
The team with the maximum net worth (Cash in hand + shares) at the end wins the competition.
Key learnings from the competition:
- Why should an investor invest in portfolio?
- Volatility of the share market in short run
- Insider news to be trusted or not
- How source of information can lead to speculation in the market?
- What is the best way to minimize the risk in the market?